Blueberry Hand Pies
These Blueberry Hand Pies can be made simpler and more quickly if you use good quality store-bought rolled pie crusts. Either way, one bite and you'll be wanting to add this recipe to your regular taste treat repertoire.
FOR THE PASTRY
- 1 recipe your favorite 2-crust pie OR use store-bought rolled pie crust as a short cut
- 2 eggs, beaten for egg wash
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 cups Root 24 Farms fresh or frozen (thawed, drained) organic blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
PREPARE THE DOUGH
- On a floured surface, roll out dough so it’s about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out 3 roughly 5-inch by 3-inch rectangles from each piece of dough (6 total).
- Transfer squares to a baking sheet (it’s OK if they overlap slightly), cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 10 minutes.
PREPARE THE FILLING
- In a medium bowl, combine the berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice, and salt. Stir gently until evenly coated, then set aside.
ASSEMBLE THE HAND PIES
- Remove the disks from the refrigerator and lightly brush the edges of each disk with the egg wash. Spoon about 1/4 cup berry filling onto each disk, leaving a 1-inch border around the rim. (You might have some extra filling.)
- Working with one square at a time, leaving one half of the dough on the baking sheet, gently fold the other half of each rectangle of dough over the filling to make a square and press the edges together with your fingers to seal. If any of the filling is oozing out of the sides, remove a few berries at a time until the hand pie seals easily. Using a fork, crimp the edges of each hand pie. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Cover the hand pies with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to set the crusts. Refrigerate the remaining egg wash.
BAKE THE HAND PIES
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 425° fahrenheit. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the hand pies from the refrigerator and brush the tops with the remaining egg wash. Using a paring knife, cut 3 small slits in the top of each hand pie to create steam vents.
- Transfer the hand pies to the lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the hand pies are golden and the filling is bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve warm.
- The hand pies can be cooled completely and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.