Gluten Free Blueberry Protein Muffins
Makes 7 muffins
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oilf
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cut vanilla or unflavored protein powder divided
- 1/4 cup dates diced and tightly packed
- 1/2 cup fresh Root 24 Farms organic blueberries if substituting our frozen blueberries, thaw and drain blueberries first; you may also substitute 1/3 cup of our dried blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line seven spaces in a muffin tin with liners or grease them well.
- Combine the uncooked quinoa and coconut milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook until the milk is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and honey in the microwave until smooth and liquid. Let that cool, then add in the eggs, vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Mix just until well combined. Add in the cooled quinoa and stir just until blended.
- Place the diced dates in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the protein powder and toss to coat. This prevents the dates from sticking together in the batter. Add the remaining protein powder, dates and blueberries into the quinoa mixture. Stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the seven muffin spots, filling almost full. Bake until the top is golden brown, puffed up and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 17-20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan.