Blueberry Almond Tart
A delightful dessert that's perfect for holiday gatherings, and equally at home year-round. Ground almonds give the crust a nutty extra something, which is a great foil for the sweet organic blueberries.
- 2 pints Root 24 Farms Fresh Organic Blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
Make the Filling
- Combine one pint of berries with the sugar and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan. Coarsely mash berries.
- Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture boils and thickens, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk yolks and cornstarch in medium bowl. Gradually whisk half of hot berry mixture into the egg/cornstarch mixture; return to pan. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. Whisk in butter and lemon peel. Transfer filling to bowl. Cover and chill overnight.
Make the Crust
- Lightly butter 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Blend flour, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, sugar, and salt in processor until almonds are finely ground. Add butter; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg yolk and almond extract in small bowl; add to processor and blend until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Pierce crust all over with fork; freeze 30 minutes. While the crust chills, preheat oven the 375°.
- Take crust from freezer and line with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until crust is set, about 12 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake until crust is golden, about 18 minutes longer. Cool crust completely on rack.
Assemble the Tart
- When the crust is completely cool, spread the berry filling in it and sprinkle the remaining pint of fresh berries over it evenly. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sliced almonds around edge of tart. Cover loosely with foil and chill at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)