A galette (in France) or crostata (in Italy) is a simple, rustic fruit pie. We love their simplicity, which showcases the wonderful flavor of the fruits they contain. You can use your favorite recipe for a buttery single pie crust or use a store-bought rolled pie crust as a shortcut.
- 1 14- inch pie crust
- 4 cups of Root 24 Farms fresh or frozen unthawed organic blueberries
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling crust
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten
- Vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream
- Preheat over to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Place blueberries in a medium bowl and sprinkle with flour and sugar. Toss with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Set your pie crust on a rimmed cookie sheet, lightly greased or use a sheet of parchment paper.
- Mound the fruit in the center of the dough, leaving a 1½ -inch border. Fold the dough up and around the mound of fruit. Pinch together to make a pleat. Brush the top of pleated dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake crostata until crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about 40 – 44 minutes. Check often and use a spatula to lift the crostata and check the underside of crust. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.